Have you ever thought that why hair loss in woman is so unpredictable? Woman loses plenty of hair within a few days, at the same time they get back their hair within short period. Why this happens is not clear to many woman. Woman body is a place of complex hormonal activity. Some hormones contributes to grow hair and some plays a role to trigger hair loss.
So it is nothing but a complex hormonal activity that is responsible for losing hair. There are lot of reasons hormonal fluctuation that take place in woman body. Menopause, pregnancy, stress etc. causes ups down of hormone in the body. When hormones particularly progesterone level is low hair shedding take place drastically.
Why Progesterone Level Drops Down?
It is complex process that leads to lower progesterone level. Hair loss is directly related with androgen level in the body. High androgen level causes polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). PCOS and progesterone level are mutually related. PCOS lowers progesterone level and low level of progesterone causes PCOS. Progesterone production is related with estrogen and androgen level. Production of progesterone with estrogen and androgen is negatively related. So whenever the progesterone production goes down, it triggers hair loss.
What to Do to Check Progesterone Level
Before going to any treatment, you need to be sure whether your hair loss is due to hormonal imbalance and if it is caused by lower progesterone. To check these hormonal imbalance few test require to be dine including blood, salivary test etc. as you already know that high androgen level is associated with low progesterone level. S it is also required to check whether you androgen level is high or not. Some symptoms may be identified as a cause of low progesterone level. The symptoms are:
- Irregular periods
- Hot flashes or night sweats
- Low sex drive
- Night terrors and insomnia
- Adult acne
- Depression, anxiety, or mood swings
- Weight gain
If these symptoms are seen with menstrual cycle then you may have hair loss. If you are not sure whether it is caused by hormonal imbalance then you must check it consulting with expert.
Treatment of Low Progesterone
- HRT or hormone replacement therapy is the most effective option that bring your low progesterone level to balanced level. Your doctor must prescribe it.
- Change your diet to increase progesterone level. To do this your body requires dopamine that can be produced by plenty of nutrients like magnesium, zinc, vitamin C, vitamin B6, iron and fatty acids. Herbal supplements like chaste berry may be used to increase progesterone level.
- There are some topical solution available in the market. Progesterone creams is applied to balance the level of it.
Hair loss can caused by many reasons and it is difficult to find out the exact one particularly if it is caused by hormone. Low progesterone level can take place at any age. So it may be difficult to identify progesterone as a reason of hair loss. Balanced progesterone level will gain hairline.